Friday, March 28, 2014

How I Became A Dancer

I began as a dancer back in the 80's as a Break Dancer and Popper in the San Fernando Valley. My friends and I would do dance battles all around the neighborhoods in the valley. I was known to be a Waver, Glyder, and Tutter. I am part of the O.G. Popper's Picnic in Griffith Park, where many old school Popper's around the world gather every year. I continued dancing into the 90's, where I joined the early House Dance Club Scene in Los Angeles. I am one of the original Rebel Style House Dancers that battled at the infamous Arena with DJ Irene and The Dome where Dj Richard Humpty Vission and many other famous House Dj's became known. Later, I started dancing Swing at the infamous Derby Club. I started pursuing others dances like Salsa, where I was taught by some of the best. I was one of the earliest Bachata Dancers to popularize the dance at Club Silhouette and Mama Juana's. I took many classes and workshops in dance: Salsa, Bachata, Cumbias, Merengue, Cha Cha Cha, Zumba, Swing, House, Popping, and Ballroom. I enjoyed a workshop in original Colombian Style Cumbia Dance. I joined several choreography teams. I took dance instructor training courses at various famous dance schools. I was under the wing of various Salsa instructors and substituted for them. I worked at famous dance studios, such as Debbie Reynolds, Hamas, Madilyne Clarke, Red Hot Ballroom, and Fox Studio, as a sub and dance instructor. I have been Zumba dance certified as well. I am one of a few dance instructors that teaches original style Cumbias and Rockabilly Jive, popular in the Rockabilly scene. I have a passion for dance and been doing this for many years. Dancing is a way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment